GAGE PARK — The Gage Park Latinx Council has kicked off its winter coat drive, with more than a dozen places on the Southwest Side to drop off donations.
The group is asking people to donate new or gently used coats, socks, gloves, scarves, boots, hats and hand warmers.
Here’s a full list of drop-off locations:
- Open Books Pilsen, 905 W. 19th St.
- University of Illinois-Chicago Latino Cultural Center, 803 S. Morgan St.
- Open Books West Loop, 651 W. Lake St.
- Orivera & Associates, 6250 S. Knox AVe.
- Starbucks, 257 E. Huron St.
- 18th Casa de Cultura, 2057 18th St.
- Semillas, 1848 S. Blue Island Ave.
- Esperanza Health Center, 4700 S. California Ave.
- Maribis of Chicago, 4570 S. Archer Ave.
- De Colores, 3838 W. 49th St.
- Pilsen Arts & Community House, 1637 W. 18th St.
- Gage Park Latinx Council, 2711 W. 51st St.
Donations will be accepted until the end of November.
Last year, the group collected about 300 coats for families. This year the goal is 500, executive director Antonio Santos said.
“As the cold weather approaches many people worry about how to keep warm, and we work to lessen the financial burden of the winter months by providing basic hygiene items, coats and winter supplies,” Santos said.
Listen to “It’s All Good: A Block Club Chicago Podcast”: