WICKER PARK — Summertime construction has officially begun at the south end of Walsh Park.
On Wednesday, construction crews blocked off the southern end of the park, which will be closed through October as the Chicago Park District makes several renovations and additions.
Located at 1722 N. Ashland Ave., Walsh Park serves as the eastern entrance to the Bloomingdale Trail. It’s one of several parks that comprise The 606.
The park includes a playground, an athletic field, basketball hoops, a sand box and a dog-friendly area. Come October, however, the renovated park will also include natural grass, trees and community gardens, according to The 606 website.
The new playground will include a spray feature, outdoor fitness equipment, a gathering space, a pathway, landscaping and lighting improvements.
Only the south end of the park will close; the dog-friendly area and the entrance to the trail will remain open.
History of Walsh Park
Walsh Park occupies the former site of a vacant building that caught on fire in July of 1970.
U.S. Marine John P. Walsh, Jr. was one of the city’s firefighters who helped put out the blaze. Five weeks later, he died from injuries sustained during the fire.
The Chicago Park District developed the scorched site as a 2-acre neighborhood park.
In 2014, the Chicago Park District received the Open Space and Land Acquisition Grant from the Illinois Department of Natural Resources to make improvements that will provide a more “family-friendly space.”
Follow The 606 on social media for updates. For more information, send an email to email@example.com.
Do stories like this matter to you? Subscribe to Block Club Chicago. Every dime we make funds reporting from Chicago’s neighborhoods.