Providence St. Mel
- Austin, Garfield Park, North Lawndale
- Bronzeville, Near South Side
- Englewood, Chatham, Auburn Gresham
- Hyde Park, Woodlawn, South Shore
- Jefferson Park, Portage Park, Norwood Park
- Lakeview, Wrigleyville, Northalsted
- Lincoln Park, Old Town
- Lincoln Square, North Center, Irving Park
- Logan Square, Humboldt Park, Avondale
- Pilsen, Little Village, Back of the Yards
- Uptown, Edgewater, Rogers Park
- Wicker Park, Bucktown, West Town
Providence St. Mel Student Lands Perfect ACT Score: ‘Not Only Can I Achieve This, But Others Can As Well’
Mario Hoover scored a 36 on the ACT exam. The perfect score is the highest any student has earned in Providence St. Mel School's history.
Illinois Schools Can No Longer Ban Cornrows, Locs And Braids — Thanks To A West Side Mom Who Fought Hair Discrimination
"This is a huge step toward improving a mental health outcomes for our children," said Ida Nelson, who spoke out against her son's school when he wasn't allowed to wear braids.
This Family Fought A West Side School’s Ban On Black Hairstyles — And Now Illinois Could Ban Hair Discrimination
The bill to ban hair discrimination was inspired by a mom who fought a policy at Providence St. Mel School in Garfield Park, which doesn't allow boys to have braids, locs or cornrows.
After West Side School Forces 4-Year-Old To Remove His Braids, Parents Ask: Why Are We Policing Black Children’s Hair?
Providence St. Mel has a longstanding dress code limiting the way children can wear their hair, which Black parents say punishes kids for their natural hair texture.