Clean the North Branch
- Austin, Garfield Park, North Lawndale
- Bronzeville, Near South Side
- Englewood, Chatham, Auburn Gresham
- Hyde Park, Woodlawn, South Shore
- Jefferson Park, Portage Park, Norwood Park
- Lakeview, Wrigleyville, Northalsted
- Lincoln Park, Old Town
- Lincoln Square, North Center, Irving Park
- Logan Square, Humboldt Park, Avondale
- Pilsen, Little Village, Back of the Yards
- Uptown, Edgewater, Rogers Park
- Wicker Park, Bucktown, West Town
General Iron Seeks City Approval To Reopen As Activists Urge Shutdown To Continue Through COVID-19 Pandemic
It's not clear when the city inspections will take place or when the scrapper could reopen if given the green light.
Activists Push City To Close General Iron During Pandemic: City ‘Signaling It Will Not Stand In General Iron’s Way’
After a local alderman said General Iron's reopening is "highly probable," activists from Clean the North Branch renewed their calls for the city to shut down the Lincoln Park scrapyard.
‘Highly Probable’ General Iron Will Fully Reopen Lincoln Park Site After Investigation, Alderman Says
Neighbors and activists are planning a Tuesday news conference to again urge city leaders to keep the scrapper closed.
Neighbors Celebrate Closure Of General Iron, But Scrappers Now Unsure Where To Take Truckloads Of Metal
The morning after an explosion that forced the shutdown of the Lincoln Park metal recycling plant, scrap metal collectors showed up looking to unload.
City Will Shut Down General Iron Following Monday Explosion, Alderman Says
A Monday morning explosion sent a plume of smoke into the air and hazardous material response teams to the controversial metal-shredding plant.
Neighbors Say General Iron Pollution Puts Them More At Risk During Coronavirus Crisis, But Scrapper Says It’s ‘Essential’
The owner of General Iron said the scrap metal yard is an essential business. Neighbors, including Ald. Brian Hopkins (2nd), disagree.