Block Club Chicago is hiring a Social Media Editor with impeccable news judgment, experience in social media strategy and an obsession with Chicago to oversee our social media presence and help shape our audience growth strategy.
This person will lead Block Club’s presence on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and TikTok, provide coverage of breaking news and live events and conceive and execute social plans for special projects and engaging readers.
This person will work closely with our editorial team and have the ability to identify stories based on social trends, breaking news or tips from readers on our social accounts.
Responsibilities will include:
- Leading Block Club’s social media presence by populating our accounts on a daily basis.
- Developing and refining the voice of Block Club on all of our social channels
- Building creative social content (GIFs! Memes! TikToks!)
- Acting as Block Club’s eyes and ears on social platforms, alerting the newsroom to breaking news
- Suggesting story ideas and partnering with reporters across the newsroom to produce stories that:
- Anticipate readers’ social and search needs sparked by a Block Club story or a news event.
- Respond to readers’ real-time social and search needs.
- Developing testing strategies around images, headlines, social share texts to best amplify Block Club’s stories and engage readers
- Tracking success through engagement rates, growth statistics, reader responses and other metrics.
- Working with journalists in the newsroom on best social media practices, including framing pieces for specific audiences.
- Coordinating advertising spends on Facebook and potentially other platforms.
- 3+ years of experience in social media or journalism
- Excellent news judgment (can’t stress this enough) and headline writing skills
- Knowledge of Chartbeat, Google Analytics, Twitter Analytics, Facebook Insights and others
- Deep understanding of all mainstream and some emerging social channels.
- A passion for Chicago news and a dedication to Block Club and its mission
- Strong writing and editing skills
This position is based in Chicago and requires the person to live in the Chicago area, though working from home is common. There is an expectation of several days of in-person work at our Downtown office to work alongside and collaborate with colleagues.
This position offers full benefits, including medical, vision, dental, vacation.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Block Club believes the diversity of our community is a fundamental strength of our region. Our mission is best fulfilled when we embrace diversity as a value and a practice. We maintain that achieving diversity requires an enduring commitment to inclusion that must find full expression in our organizational culture, values, norms and behaviors. Throughout our work, we will support diversity in all of its forms, encompassing but not limited to age, disability status, economic circumstance, ethnicity, gender, race, religion and sexual orientation.
How to Apply
Send us an email explaining why you’re a good fit for this job along with your resume, two references and links to your social media accounts or accounts you manage/have managed. Feel free to include any social campaigns you worked on, engagement projects you’ve tackled or anything else you’re proud of and would like us to see.
Email newsroom (at) blockclubchi (dot) org along and put “Social Media Editor” in the subject line, please!
DEADLINE TO APPLY: August 12, 2022