Skip to contents
Uptown, Edgewater, Rogers Park

Students At Rogers Park School Hospitalized After Taking Edible, Officials Say

The 13-year-old girls were taken to St. Francis Hospital in good condition.

Gale Community Academy, 7650 N. Marshfield Ave., offers a place students can go to grab free winter gear, changes of clothes and personal hygiene products.
Provided//Gale Elementary School
  • Credibility:

ROGERS PARK — Three students at a Rogers Park school were taken to the hospital after eating a cannabis edible, according to officials.

The three girls, all 13, were at Gale Academy, 1631 W. Jonquil Terrace, when around noon Wednesday they were hospitalized after taking a suspected edible, Chicago Police said in an incident report.

The girls were taken to St. Francis Hospital in good condition.

Gale Principal Francisco Leal said in a letter to school families Wednesday that a “small number” of students ingested what is believed to be an edible but that “everyone is safe.” Staff responded and got help for the “impacted students” and those students’ parents were notified of the incident, he said.

“Prohibited substances of any kind are not allowed at school, and we encourage you to take this opportunity to have a conversation with your child about the health risks associated with consuming edibles, especially if they come from an unknown source, and to remind them not to accept food if they do not know where it came from,” Leal wrote in the letter.

Police said in the incident remains under investigation.

Listen to “It’s All Good: A Block Club Chicago Podcast”: