LOGAN SQUARE — Neighbors are raising money for families who were displaced by a fire in Logan Square.
At 6:15 a.m. Tuesday, a fire broke out at 2444 N. Washtenaw Ave., totaling the building, Fire Department spokesman Larry Merritt said. Three other buildings were also damaged heavily, though not as severely, according to a Fire Department tweet.
One person was hospitalized in good condition after the blaze, Merritt said.
There are three GoFundMe campaigns to support the displaced families. A GoFundMe spokesperson verified each fundraiser.
One fundraiser aims to raise $20,000 to help four families, with money going toward providing clothing, toiletries, pet food, a crib and other items, according to its GoFundMe page. It’s raised more than $10,000.
They need “everything and anything,” wrote Erica Rios, who started the fundraiser.
People can also drop off supplies for the families, Rios wrote on her fundraiser. The page has a list of items they need.
- Anytime: 14th District Police Station, 2150 N. California Ave.
- 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Friday: St. John Berchman, 2511 W. Logan Blvd.
- 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Sunday: St. Paul, 2500 N. Talman Ave.
- 10 a.m.-6 p.m.: alderman’s office, 1958 N. Milwaukee Ave.
Another GoFundMe, started by Kaytlyn Thompson, whose home was destroyed, has raised almost $4,000.
Thompson; her husband, Wayne; an uncle and their dog escaped the fire, she wrote. But her husband has diabetes, and all his medication and supplies burned, Thompson wrote. Donated funds will go toward medical costs, clothing and other items not covered by insurance, Thompson wrote.
“We lost everything. Nothing was salvageable,” Thompson wrote on the fundraising page. “We currently have a temporary place to stay but we have to start all over with … everything else.”
A third fundraiser is trying to raise $5,000 for two residents displaced along with their dog. The residents do not have insurance to cover the damage, friend Travis Rauh wrote on the fundraising page.
Listen to “It’s All Good: A Block Club Chicago Podcast”: