NORTH LAWNDALE — Bail was denied Friday for the second man charged in the murder of 7-year-old Jaslyn Adams, who was shot while sitting in a car with her father in a West Side McDonald’s.
Demond Goudy, 21, is facing first-degree murder and attempted murder charges in the shooting that killed Jaslyn and injured her father April 18 while at a McDonald’s drive thru in Homan Square.
Authorities said a silver Audi pulled up and two men got out, one carrying a Drako, an AK-47 type of gun, and the other brandishing a .40 caliber gun. They fired at least 45 bullets, ambushing Jaslyn and her father, prosecutors said.
In court on Friday, prosecutor Kevin DeBoni said Goudy was seen on surveillance video getting out of the Audi and firing a hail of bullets from the handgun. The man firing the AK-47 style Drako is still at large.
Jaslyn was shot six times. Her father, Jontae Adams, was also shot but has since been released from a hospital.
One man, 18-year-old Marion Lewis, has already been charged in connection with the crime. Prosecutors say he was the driver of the Audi.
At last week’s bond hearing for Lewis, DeBoni said one of the shooters threatened Jontae Adams via social media in the past.
Last week, Jaslyn’s grandmother and Adams’ mother, Lawanda McMullen, told Block Club Chicago she believed the shooting stemmed from an argument on social media and was possibly gang-related.
At the time of the shooting, Goudy was out on bond for weapons, robbery and drug charges in four separate cases, DeBoni said. He also said Goudy has an extensive juvenile record.
Goudy’s attorney, Cathryn Crawford, from the not-for-profit Lawndale Christian Legal Center, sought a delay and asked Judge David Navarro to sanction DeBoni for bringing up Goudy’s juvenile record, but was denied.
Goudy is scheduled to appear in court again May 19.
Subscribe to Block Club Chicago, an independent, 501(c)(3), journalist-run newsroom. Every dime we make funds reporting from Chicago’s neighborhoods.