Skip to contents
Jefferson Park, Portage Park, Norwood Park

Anthony Alvarez’s Family Slated To Watch Video Of Police Killing Portage Park Father

The 22-year-old was killed by police during a foot chase March 31. After weeks of demanding answers, the city will allow family to view video of the shooting, a family member said.

Family and friends hold a vigil for Anthony Alvarez on April 23, 2021. Alvarez was fatally shot by Chicago Police at the corner of Eddy Street and Laramie Avenue in Portage Park on March 31.
Colin Boyle/Block Club Chicago
  • Credibility:

PORTAGE PARK —After weeks of demanding answers, Anthony Alvarez’s family is expected to view video footage Tuesday evening of a Chicago police officer fatally shooting the 22-year-old, the family said.

A Chicago police officer shot and killed Alvarez, a young father, March 31 during a foot chase in Portage Park. 

At a Friday vigil, Alvarez’s family demanded answers from the city and for neighbors to come forward with information about what happened. They’ve also filed a Freedom of Information Act request for videos and documents tied the shooting.

After the vigil, the Civilian Office of Police Accountability, which investigates police shootings, contacted Alvarez’s family.

“[The Civilian Office of Police Accountability] reached out to one of my aunts first. Then she reached out to the rest of my family on Sunday letting us know we’d be able to watch the video Tuesday,” said Roxana Figueroa, Alvarez’s cousin.

“Why did it take so long to offer the family some kind of peace, some kind of explanation? I don’t know why they had to drag it out for this long,” she said.

A representative for the Civilian Office of Police Accountability confirmed Tuesday they were in contact with the family but did not comment further.

Credit: Provided.
Anthony Alvarez with his daughter.

The last time Alvarez’s family saw him alive was around 9 p.m. March 30. He stopped by his parent’s place in Portage Park to show off a Jeep he just bought and to make family dinner plans. 

About three hours later, officers were running after him in the 3500 block of North Laramie Avenue, police said. 

The chase continued to the 5200 block of West Eddy Street, about two blocks from where Alvarez lived. There, police said Alvarez pulled out a handgun “which led to a confrontation.” At least one of the officers shot Alvarez, police said. 

Alvarez was taken to Illinois Masonic Medical Center and pronounced dead at 1:13 a.m. He suffered multiple gunshot wounds and his death was ruled a homicide, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office. 

Police said they found a gun at the place they shot Alvarez. The officers involved have been placed on routine administrative duties for 30 days. 

After Alvarez and 13-year-old Adam Toledo were killed by police following foot chases within the same week, Mayor Lori Lightfoot said the department’s foot chase policy needs to be overhauled.

But officials do not yet have a timeline for that.

Alvarez’s family will gather again noon May 1 at the intersection of Irving Park Road and Central Avenue to march south to the memorial at West Eddy Street and North Laramie Avenue.

“My family is getting prepared before we watch the video tonight. It’s going to be one of the saddest days. But we have to be supportive of each other,” Figueroa said.

Subscribe to Block Club Chicago, an independent, 501(c)(3), journalist-run newsroom. Every dime we make funds reporting from Chicago’s neighborhoods.

Already subscribe? Click here to support Block Club with a tax-deductible donation.