LINCOLN SQUARE — Looking to up your gardening game this spring? City Grange is offering virtual classes to help novice and experienced gardeners alike later this month.
The Great Grow Along is three-day virtual festival that will run March 19-21 and feature speakers like author and interior stylist Hilton Carter, “Farmer Nick” Cutsumpas, author and food-scaping expert Brie Arthur, David Mizijewski of the National Wildlife Federation and more.
City Grange is a garden center with locations at 5500 N. Western Ave. in Lincoln Square and 1818 W. 99th St. in Beverly.
Tickets, which cost $29.95, will get you full access to the festival’s programming.
“We have an historic opportunity to share our expertise and advice and welcome new gardeners into the hobby,” said City Grange founder LaManda Joy. “Our Great Grow Along vision centers on education. For their future —and ours — we seek to empower new gardeners by helping them sharpen their skills.”
Some courses offered during the event include:
- Edible Gardening: Edibles, seed starting, fruit, veggies, and more.
- Urban Gardening: Building raised beds, small-space fruit plants, and other small-space gardening tips.
- Pollinators & Plants: Understanding native plants, pollinators, plant selection, and more.
- DIY Landscaping: Tree care basics, think like a landscape designer, container design, and more.
- Houseplants: Fundamentals, light, propagation, pet-safe plants, and more.
- Dig Deeper: Organics, soil testing, compost, xeriscaping, permaculture, chickens, and more.
Additional presentations from organizations like The Davey Tree Expert Company, Bonide, Bushel and Berry, Power Planter, Timber Press, Cool Springs Press, Bloomscape, American Meadows and more will also participate.
Each program is 40-60 minutes long. More information about its presenters can be found on the event’s website.
Subscribe to Block Club Chicago. Every dime we make funds reporting from Chicago’s neighborhoods.