THE LOOP — Bakeries will make — and undoubtedly sell — tens of thousands of paczki this Fat Tuesday.
Fat Tuesday is Feb. 16 this year, and Chicagoans love to celebrate the holiday with the famous Polish doughnuts.
Paczki are pastries made with a bit of alcohol and rich flour. They’re typically filled with something sweet, like jam, chocolate or fruit, and topped with sugar or icing. They’re eaten on Fat Tuesday, otherwise known as Mardi Gras.
Block Club has rounded up 59 bakeries, cafes and restaurants where you can grab paczki on Fat Tuesday. (Or want to make your own? We have a guide for that, too.)
Just make sure to call ahead if you want to make sure you get a paczki — major bakeries are often swamped on Fat Tuesday.
Here’s where you can find paczki in the city:
- Ace Bakery, 3241 S. Halsted St.
- Alliance Bakery, 1736 W. Division St.: You can order online in advance.
- Andy’s Deli & Mikolajczyk Sausage Shop, multiple locations
- Ann’s Bakery & Deli, 2158 W. Chicago Ave.
- Bake For Me!, 4305 S. Halsted St.: You can order online in advance.
- Beverly Bakery, 10528 S. Western Ave.
- Bridgeport Bakery, 2907 S. Archer Ave.: You can order online in advance.
- Bristol Deli & Liquors, 5207 W. Belmont Ave.
- Cafe Selmarie, 4729 N. Lincoln Ave.
- Cafe Vienna, 2523 N. Clark St.
- Calumet Bakery, 2510 E. 106th St.: You can order in advance.
- Chicago Sweet Connection, 5569 N. Northwest Highway
- D’Amato’s Bakery, 1124 W. Grand Ave.
- Deli 4 You, 4353 N. Harlem Ave.
- Delightful Pastries, 5927 W. Lawrence Ave.: You can order online in advance.
- Dinkel’s Bakery, 3329 N. Lincoln Ave.
- Do-Rite Donuts & Chicken, multiple locations
- Ferrara Bakery, 2210 W. Taylor St.
- Firecakes Donuts, multiple locations
- Forest View Bakery, 6454 N. Milwaukee Ave.
- Gene’s Sausage Shop and Delicatessen, 4750 N. Lincoln Ave.
- Ideal Bakery, 4765 N. Milwaukee Ave.
- Julius Meinl, multiple locations
- Junebug Cafe, 4944 W. Irving Park Road
- Kasia’s Deli, 2101 W. Chicago Ave.: You can order online in advance.
- Kolatek’s Bakery, 2445 N. Harlem Ave.
- La Central Bakery, 2422 W. 47th St.
- Laramie Bakery & Deli, 3012 N. Laramie Ave.
- Le Paris Bakery, 2945 W. 31st St.
- Liberation Donuts, 2054 W. Grand Ave., vegan: You can order online in advance.
- Life’s Sweet Inc., 6621 N. Clark St.: You can order online in advance.
- Marz Brewing, 3630 S. Iron St.: You can order online in advance.
- Montrose Deli, multiple locations
- Oak Mill Bakery, 5747 S. Harlem Ave.: You can order online in advance.
- Palermo Bakery, 7312 Irving Park Road
- Podhalanka, 1549 W. Division St.
- Polish Paczki Cafe, 7210 W. Foster Ave.
- Polombia, 520 W. Harrison St.: You can order in advance.
- Pticek & Son Bakery, 5523 S. Narragansett Ave.
- Racine Bakery, 6216 S. Archer Ave.
- Reuter’s Bakery, 7177 W. Grand Ave.: You can order online in advance.
- Roeser’s Bakery, 3216 W. North Ave.: You can order by email in advance.
- Rudy’s Bakery, 2038 W. Roscoe St.
- Scafuri Bakery, 1337 W. Taylor St.: You can order online in advance.
- Shop & Save, 5829 S. Archer Ave.
- Sicilian Bakery Inc., 4632 N. Cumberland Ave.
- Stan’s Donuts & Coffee, multiple locations
- Somethin’ Sweet Donuts, multiple locations
- Sweet World Pastry, 5450 N. Milwaukee Ave.
- Wagner’s Bakery, 2148 W. Cermak Road
- Weber’s Bakery, 7055 W. Archer Ave.: You can order in advance.
- Wiklanski’s Bakery, 6006 W. Belmont Ave.
Think we’re missing a spot? Email Kelly@BlockClubChi.org or tweet the Block Club team.
Subscribe to Block Club Chicago. Every dime we make funds reporting from Chicago’s neighborhoods.