Skip to contents

4th Victim Dies After Being Shot During Solo Attacker’s Violent Rampage From South Side To Evanston

Marta Torres, 61, was one of at least seven people shot by Jason Nightengale during the Jan. 9 rampage. She died Saturday.

Chicago Police Supt. David Brown speaks to reporters in Evanston after a lone attacker shot and killed multiple people in Chicago and Evanston. The man was killed in a shootout with Evanston Police.
Tom Ahern/Chicago Police Department
  • Credibility:

CHICAGO — A fourth person has died after being shot by a gunman who went on a violent spree from the South Side to north suburban Evanston earlier this month.

Marta Torres, 61, of Evanston, was one of at least seven people shot by Jason Nightengale during the Jan. 9 rampage. She died Saturday night from the gunshot wound, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office.

Nightengale killed three others in separate shootings during the spree: Yiran Fan, 30; Aisha Nevell, 46; and Anthony Faulkner, 20. Three other people were critically wounded, including a 15-year-old girl.

Chicago police and the Medical Examiner’s Office identified the shooter as Nightengale, 32. Authorities said he was responsible for five separate attacks, during which he also accosted someone he knew, stole that man’s car and shot at a Chicago police car.

Nightengale was killed in a shootout with Evanston police, not far from where he shot Torres inside the IHOP at Howard Street and Western Avenue.

Nightengale’s rampage started about 1:50 p.m. Jan. 9, when he fatally shot Fan, who was sitting inside a car in a parking garage at 5035 S. East End Ave.

About 10 minutes later, Nightengale walked into an apartment building at 4940 S. East End Ave. and fired shots, hitting Nevell in her chest and hitting a 77-year-old resident who was getting her mail, Chicago Police Supt. David Brown said.

Both women were taken to University of Chicago Medical Center. Nevell was pronounced dead and the 77-year-old was in critical condition.

About 2:45 p.m., Nightengale went to another residential building in the 5000 block of South East End Avenue. He took the elevator to the 19th floor and confronted a man he knew, Brown said.

Nightengale pushed the man into his apartment at gunpoint and demanded his car keys. Nightengale stole the man’s red Toyota and drove away, police said.

At 3:45 p.m., Nightengale went into a convenience store in the 9300 block of South Halsted Street in Brainerd and tried to rob it, police said.

Nightengale fired several shots, hitting Faukner in his head and an 81-year-old woman in her back and neck. Faukner was pronounced dead at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, police said. The woman was in critical condition. Nightengale drove away from the scene.

After that, at about 5 p.m., Nightengale shot a 15-year-old girl who was riding in the back of a car in the 10300 block of South Halsted Street in Washington Heights. Police said it was not immediately where Nightengale was shooting from, but the shots shattered the car’s back window and hit the teenager in her head.

The girl was taken to Comer Children’s Hospital in critical condition, police said.

Minutes later, at 5:04 p.m., Nightengale drove to the 9200 block of South Halsted Street, a block from the convenience store where he’d killed Faukner and wounded the 81-year-old woman. Nightengale fired shots again, hitting a police car. No one was wounded, police say.

About 5:30 p.m., Evanston Police respond to a call of shots fired at the CVS at Howard and Asbury, Chief Demitrous Cook said. No one was wounded inside the drugstore.

Nightengale ran across the street to an IHOP, took a woman — later identified as Torres — hostage and shot her, Cook said.

Torres was hospitalized for several days before dying.

Nightengale ran off again, going east on Howard. He went to the parking lot of the Dollar General, where he was confronted by police. He and officers shot at each other, and police shot Nightengale, Cook said.

The Medical Examiner’s Office said Nightengale died from multiple gunshot wounds.

No police officers were wounded, Cook said. It remains unclear what motivated the attacks, which Brown repeatedly described as random.

In the week leading up to his killing spree, Nightengale posted a series of videos on social media, including talking about killing random people and saying, “I’m going to blow up the whole community.”

Subscribe to Block Club Chicago. Every dime we make funds reporting from Chicago’s neighborhoods.

Already subscribe? Click here to support Block Club with a tax-deductible donation.