Skip to contents
Uptown, Edgewater, Rogers Park

Rogers Park Man Held Without Bail After Shootout With Police That Left Him Seriously Wounded

The 25-year-old man allegedly shot at officers trying to pull him over in connection with a domestic-related incident, prosecutors said.

Devlin Brown/DNAinfo
  • Credibility:

ROGERS PARK — A Rogers Park man was ordered held without bail Thursday after allegedly shooting at police, who fired back and wounded the man earlier this week, authorities said.

The shootout occurred Tuesday afternoon near the Metra station at Ravenswood and Lunt avenues.

Chicago officers were trying to arrest Kenneth Olugbode, 25, for allegedly attacking his ex-girlfriend and stealing and threatening to kill her dog, Cook County prosecutors said in court Thursday.

Officers pulled over Olugbode about 5 p.m. Tuesday in the 6900 block of North Ravenswood Avenue in Rogers Park. After being boxed in by an unmarked police car on Ravenswood, Olugbode allegedly got out of his car and fired two shots at three officers, prosecutors said.

The officers returned gunfire, hitting Olugbode in his shoulders, his right hip and right hand, prosecutors said. Olugbode was taken to St. Francis Hospital in Evanston in serious condition, but his condition has since stabilized, prosecutors said.

Olugbode faces three counts of attempted murder for shooting at officers and one count of aggravated unlawful restraint. Olugbode, of the 7100 block of North Ridge Boulevard, also has an outstanding warrant for arrest in Louisiana stemming from an aggravated assault with a gun charge.

Olugbode remains hospitalized, authorities said.

The shooting was caught on police body cameras, and officers fired 19 times after being shot at, prosecutors said.

Police began investigating Olugbode after his ex-girlfriend called 911 and said the man had been threatening her, according to documents from the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office.

Olugbode showed up at the woman’s home Monday and accused her of stealing money from him, prosecutors said.

Olugbode allegedly pulled out a gun and demanded the woman get in his car and go back to his house. She tried to escape from the car, but Olugbode forced her back in, prosecutors said.

At Olugbode’s home, he made the woman search for his missing money. While he was in another room, the victim escaped from the home and called police, prosecutors said.

While the woman was talking with police, Olugbode sent her a picture of her dog in his possession. He threatened to kill the dog if the ex-girlfriend did not return his money, prosecutors allege.

The victim arranged to get the dog back from Olugbode on Tuesday and tipped police off to the meeting time and place.

Officers in an unmarked vehicle found Olugbode driving near Clark and Division avenues, and chased him to the area near Lunt and Ravenswood where the shootout occurred.

No officers were hurt in the incident, but some were evaluated for potential injuries, Deputy Chief Randall Darling said shortly after the incident. A gun was found at the scene.

Police have not been able to find the woman’s dog, prosecutors said.

In 2016, Olugbode was sentenced to six years for unlawful use of a weapon by a felon and possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute, prosecutors said.

A Block Club subscription is an excellent gift. Get a subscription now and you’ll get a free tote bag — and you’ll help us reach our goal of 15,000 subscribers by the beginning of 2021. We’re almost there! Subscribe or buy a subscription as a gift here.