Skip to contents
Logan Square, Humboldt Park, Avondale

Fire Engulfs Belmont Snack Shop In Avondale

Officials said the fire started due to grease build-up in the restaurant's exhaust hood.

Firefighters work to put out a fire that started Thursday evening at the Belmont Snack Shop in Avondale.
Chicago Fire Department
  • Credibility:

AVONDALE — A fire at Belmont Snack Shop on Thursday evening caused significant damage to the Avondale restaurant, but no injuries were immediately reported.

The fire started on the second floor of the building that houses Belmont Snack Shop at 3407 W. Belmont Ave., according to the Chicago Fire Department.

It took firefighters about an hour to put out the blaze, which was caused by grease build-up in the exhaust hood in the restaurant, according to fire department spokesman Larry Merritt.

Belmont Snack Shop has been a local favorite for years. The 24-hour spot is known for its old-school vibes, greasy diner food and affordable prices.

In May, the restaurant’s owners launched a GoFundMe to save the restaurant from closing due to the coronavirus pandemic, according to its Facebook page. The owners were able to raise more than $3,000 and reopen the restaurant for indoor service in late June, according to a post.

The owners didn’t return messages seeking comment Friday.

Subscribe to Block Club Chicago. Every dime we make funds reporting from Chicago’s neighborhoods.

Already subscribe? Click here to support Block Club with a tax-deductible donation.