CHICAGO — This Halloween could be a quieter one, Mayor Lori Lightfoot signaled Wednesday.
Los Angeles County announced earlier in the day it will not allow trick-or-treating come Oct. 31, the first major spot to announce those plans. Asked if Chicago will come out with rules for the holiday, Lightfoot said officials are working on it but aren’t ready to announce their decision.
“But obviously this is a different time, and I don’t expect to see mass crowds of trick-or-treating like we have in years past,” Lightfoot said. “It’s not safe for children. It’s not safe for adults.”
City officials are making plans to “recognize and celebrate” Halloween, Lightfoot said, but they plan to do that “in a way that is consistent with the public health guidance.”
The coronavirus pandemic has halted celebrations and events throughout the spring and summer, and officials have said they’re worried about another wave of cases this fall and winter.
Halloween typically sees scores of children and adults crowding city blocks to dress up and get candy and other treats. Near Lightfoot’s own home in Logan Square, one block is famous for seeing thousands of trick-or-treaters within hours.
But with the COVID-19 outbreak not under control in Chicago, officials have repeatedly advised people to stay 6 feet apart and wear masks, even when outside, to avoid spreading the virus.
Block Club Chicago’s coronavirus coverage is free for all readers. Block Club is an independent, 501(c)(3), journalist-run newsroom.
Subscribe to Block Club Chicago. Every dime we make funds reporting from Chicago’s neighborhoods.