NEAR WEST SIDE — A veteran-led disaster response group is hosting a supply drive at the United Center.
As hospitals face shortages of personal protective equipment, Team Rubicon is collecting gloves, masks and more from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. through Friday at the United Center.
The group is collecting the following:
- Sterile and Non-Sterile Gloves (unopened boxes, latex-free preferred)
- Hand Sanitizer (unopened containers)
- Disinfectant Bottles or Sprays (unopened containers)
- Disinfectant Wipes (unopened containers)
- Isopropyl Alcohol (unopened bottles)
- Eye Protection and Goggles (unused in box or wrapper)
- Clear Face Shields (translucent, unused only),
- Masks with Tie/Ear Loop (unopened boxes only; homemade cloth masks will be accepted)
- 3-ply Surgical Masks (FDA approved)
- Respirator Masks – N95, N99, P100 (unopened boxes; extra filters are also needed for these devices – including ones use in construction and other industries)
- PAPR Respirators – 3M or MaxAir (unused only; hoods, filters, batteries, chargers, tubes to go with these units are also needed)
- Disposable Isolation Gowns (unused only)
- Disposable Examination Gowns (unused only)
- Booties (unopened boxes)
- Medical Ventilator
- Disposable Gloves (nitrile, sterile, non-powdered)
- Hair Nets (Polypropylene)
- Touchless Thermometers
People looking to donate can check the guidelines here. Drop offs are being accepted at the United Center’s East Atrium Lot H, 16 S. Wood St.
The group kicked off the drive last week and so far has collected more than 60,000 gloves, 13,000 N95 masks, 60,000 surgical masks and 1,500 hand sanitizer bottles.
Items will be distributed to vulnerable people and essential workers.
Last month, the United Center announced it was converting the arena and its parking lots into a logistics hub for first responders to help distribute medical supplies.
The Greater Chicago Food Depository is also using the stadium to store food and package meals for families.
Block Club Chicago’s coronavirus coverage is free for all readers. Block Club is an independent, 501(c)(3), journalist-run newsroom.
Subscribe to Block Club Chicago. Every dime we make funds reporting from Chicago’s neighborhoods.