CHICAGO — Social service organizations across Chicago are working on the ground to keep people safe amid the coronavirus outbreak — and they need your help.
Some of the organizations need supplies, others need remote volunteers, but they all need financial support.
Matthew House Inc., a South Side nonprofit that provides food, shelter, housing, and supportive services to people experiencing homelessness, needs cleaning supplies, including soap and bleach.
“Those are the things we’re needing because we’re cleaning every two to three hours,” Dr. Sanja R. Stinson, executive director for Matthew House, said.
Stinson said those looking to donate supplies should call the nonprofit directly. She also urged people to donate money if they can, saying, “It takes a lot to keep this open.”
Other organizations, like Northwest Side Housing Center, need remote volunteers.
The Belmont Cragin-based organization, which offers homebuyer education and housing counseling, among other services, is looking for volunteers to do wellness checks on residents. Volunteers aren’t required to speak Spanish, but Spanish speakers are preferred, executive director James Rudyk Jr. said. Those who want to volunteer should contact the nonprofit directly.
Rudyk also encouraged Chicagoans to check out its COVID-19 resource guide.
- Chicago Community COVID-19 Response Fund
- Connections for Abused Women and their Children
- Chicago Hospitality Employee Relief Guide
- Greater Chicago Food Depository
- Catholic Charities
Neighborhood organizations that need help:
- ABJ Community Services, 1818 E. 71st St.
- My Hood, My Block, My City, 47 W. Polk St. Suite 100
- Matthew House Inc., 3728 S. Indiana Ave.
- Meals on Wheels Chicago, 314 W. Superior St. Suite 300
- Pilsen Neighbors Community Council, 2026 S. Blue Island Ave.
- West Ridge Refugee Resource Center, 2809 W. Devon Ave.
- Margaret’s Village, 7320 S. Yale Ave.
- Lakeside Community Committee, 7418 S. Cottage Grove Ave.
- Leave No Veteran Behind, 19 S. LaSalle St.
- Northwest Side Housing Center, 5233 W. Diversey Ave.
- Logan Square Neighborhood Association, 2840 N. Milwaukee Ave.
- Center for Changing Lives, 1955 N. St. Louis Ave. Suite #101
- Franciscan House, 2715 W. Harrison St.
- A Safe Haven, 2750 W. Roosevelt Road
- Northwest Food Partners Network, 3533 W. North Ave.
- La Casa Norte, 3533 W. North Ave.
- Southwest Chicago Homeless Services, 3121 W. 71st St.
- Marillac St. Vincent Family Services, 2859 W. Jackson Blvd.
- I Grow Chicago, 6402 S. Honore St.
- The Chicago Help Initiative, 155 N. Harbor Dr., Suite 702
- Hand N Hand Outreach NFP, 4207 W. Carroll Ave. #100
- Friendship Pet Food Pantry, 2711 W. Lawrence Ave.
Know of other organizations and causes that need donations and volunteers? Get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Block Club Chicago’s coronavirus coverage is free for all readers. Block Club is an independent, 501(c)(3), journalist-run newsroom.
Subscribe to Block Club Chicago. Every dime we make funds reporting from Chicago’s neighborhoods.