CHICAGO — A 1-year-old baby died in an early Wednesday house fire in West Lawn.
The fire started about 1 a.m. in the front attic space of a home in the 6000 block of South Kenneth Avenue, according to tweets from the Chicago Fire Department.
The 1-year-old, a girl, died from smoke inhalation, and other children and adults were injured, officials said.
One woman declined to be transported to a hospital, but eight others were being treated:
- A 5-month-old boy was in critical condition
- A 2-year-old girl was in critical condition
- A 22-year-old woman was in critical condition
- A 31-year-old man was in critical condition
- A 12-year-old boy was in good condition
- A 14-year-old girl was in good condition
- A 28-year-old woman was in good condition
- A 40-year-old woman was in good condition
The home had working smoke detectors, but the way to escape was blocked, officials said on Twitter. The cause of the fire was still being investigated.