Skip to contents
Hyde Park, Woodlawn, South Shore

Man Dies After Stove Was Found Running In His Hyde Park Apartment Building

A elderly man was found dead of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning. There were no other reported injuries.

Arvell Dorsey Jr./Flickr
  • Credibility:

HYDE PARK โ€” A man died of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning after a stove was found running in his Hyde Park apartment building Tuesday night.

About 9:30 p.m., the Chicago Fire Department and Peopleโ€™s Gas responded to a carbon monoxide alarm that went off at 832 E. 53rd St., according to police.

While clearing the building, fire crews found a stove that was turned on in one apartment. Across the hall in another unit, the man was found unresponsive. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The man was unidentified as of Wednesday morning, according to the Cook County Medical Examinerโ€™s Office. He was about 70 years old, according to a Fire Department spokesman.

There were no other reported injuries.