Skip to contents
Hyde Park, Woodlawn, South Shore

Babies Killed And Mom, Grandpa Wounded In Apparent Murder-Suicide Attempt In South Shore, Police Say

The incident happened early Thursday in the 7200 block of South South Shore Drive.

A woman jumped from an 11th floor apartment at 7251 S. South Shore Drive while holding her 1-year-old son, officials said.
Maxwell Evans/Block Club Chicago
  • Credibility:

CHICAGO — An apparent murder-suicide attempt left two young children dead and two adults critically wounded early Thursday in South Shore, police said.

The children’s deaths appear to be the first homicides of 2020.

At 1:48 a.m., officers were called to the 7200 block of South South Shore Drive for a call of a person down, police said. They found a woman in her 30s on the ground with an infant, who was about 1 year old.

A security guard told officers to check an 11th floor apartment at the building. Officers got inside and found a boy, who was about 2 years old, unresponsive in a bath tub, police said. They also found a 70-year-old man who had lacerations on his face and body.

The man told officers his daughter stabbed him and then jumped from the 11th floor while carrying her 1-year-old son, police said.

The two children were taken to Comer Children’s Hospital, where they were pronounced dead, police said.

The man and woman were taken to University of Chicago Medical Center in critical condition.

The man and woman were unable to be interviewed because of their condition, according to Anthony Guglielmi, Chicago Police spokesman.

“This is an immensely tragic incident & our thoughts are with residents of that building & first responders working the case,” he tweeted.

Jason Teriq, who lives in the building, said he and his girlfriend woke up about 1:30 a.m. when they heard a noise outside. They weren’t sure what it was and went back to sleep until they heard what sounded like crying.

“We heard security come outside, saying like, ‘Oh my God, someone’s down here,'” Teriq said.

Outside, people said the woman’s arms and legs appeared to be broken and her baby was not breathing, Teriq said. An ambulance came quickly.

“I think it’s really random, something that really shouldn’t happen,” Teriq said. “You don’t want to hear stuff like this going on. I’m just kinda hurt.”

Samuel Oladipo, a father of five, said he’d lived in the building for the last two years.

“We have been living here with the help of God that nothing bad will happen to us,” Oladipo said. “But this is the first time I’ve heard of something like that.”

An investigation was ongoing.