FULTON MARKET — Developer Sterling Bay’s rehabilitation of the Howard Building in Fulton Market has earned a preservation award.
On Monday, the Commission on Chicago Landmarks recognized 10 projects from across the city for excellence in preservation. The rehab of the Howard Building at 1000 W. Randolph St. for retail was among the projects recognized for “extraordinary design, craftsmanship and community impact.”
The two-story building was built by the architectural firm of Leicho & Esser in 1923 to attract merchants displaced from South Water Market.
Sterling Bay rehabilitated the vacant building with facade restoration and masonry cleaning. Other work included new windows, a revamp of the vacant storefronts and new mechanical systems.
“The Howard Building is an important anchor to the historic Randolph corridor and its rehabilitation serves as a gold standard for the rest of the district,” according to the Department of Planning and Development.
A full list of the “excellence in preservation” award winners is below:
- 2229 S. Michigan Ave. (Motor Row District)
- 3647 S. State St. (Black Metropolis-Bronzeville District)
- Johnson Publishing Building, 820 S. Michigan Ave.
- 2118 Evergreen Ave. (Wicker Park District)
- 1305 E. 50th St. (Kenwood District)
- 2900 W. Logan Blvd. (Logan Square Boulevards Extension District)
- 835 W. Newport Ave. (Newport Avenue District)
- Quincy Elevated Station, 220 S. Wells St.
- 3301 W. Arthington St. (Sears, Roebuck & Company District)
The awards, established in 1999, aim to recognize preservation and restoration efforts across the city.
The city’s Commission’s Permit Review Committee selected the winners from a pool of dozens of projects. All of the projects had to either have been designated Chicago landmarks or part of landmark districts to be eligible.
The Fulton-Randolph Market District was designated a landmark in 2015.
Do stories like this matter to you? Subscribe to Block Club Chicago. Every dime we make funds reporting from Chicago’s neighborhoods.