LOGAN SQUARE — Chicago firefighters were called to west Logan Square late Tuesday afternoon after high carbon monoxide levels were reported in a building.
The Chicago Fire Hazmat crew arrived in the 3700 block of West Fullerton Avenue and neighboring streets sometime after 3 p.m. Tuesday, snarling traffic on Fullerton Avenue.
One person was sent to Community First Hospital, according to Chicago Fire Department spokesman Larry Merritt. He said he couldn’t provide the person’s condition.
Merritt said the incident was classified as a Level 1 Hazmat and couldn’t provide any other information.
Victor Diaz, owner of Fantasticos Tuxedo Rental, 3751 W. Fullerton Ave., was forced to evacuate.
Diaz said a construction worker working in his shared building felt sick and when authorities arrived they determined there were high carbon monoxide levels in the building.
“I’m a diabetic so I feel lightheaded but I don’t know if it’s because of the diabetes or other things,” Diaz said. “They checked my oxygen and said I was OK.”
Firefighters cleared the scene a little before 5 p.m.
Diaz said the firefighters asked him to keep his door open to ventilate his shop, where he sells formalwear and boutonnieres, among other things. He said he was too busy to pack up and go home for the day.
“I gotta make bouquets,” he said.
Do stories like this matter to you? Subscribe to Block Club Chicago. Every dime we make funds reporting from Chicago’s neighborhoods.