LITTLE VILLAGE — A coalition of community groups are hosting nine anti-violence rallies across parks and other public places on the city’s South and West sides Friday night.
Communities Partnering 4 Peace, made up of groups that include Institute for Nonviolence Chicago, Precious Blood and Target Area DevCorp, will host the “Lights in the Night” events from 5:30-9 p.m. in an effort to create safe spaces in Englewood, Austin, Little Village and other neighborhoods.
The events will be held at:
- Tilton Park, 305 N. Kostner Ave. in West Garfield Park
- Homan Avenue and Madison Street in East Garfield Park
- Franklin Park, 4320 W. 15th St. in North Lawndale
- Columbus Park, 500 S. Central Ave. in Austin
- North Kedzie Avenue and West Crystal Street in Humboldt Park
- 3740 W. 31st St. in Little Village
- 4817 S. Paulina St. in Back of the Yards
- 63rd Street and Ashland Avenue in West Englewood
- 74th Street and Stewart Avenue in Englewood
The free events will feature food, music, dancing, sports, arts and employment resources.
Communities Partnering 4 Peace works to reduce violence by deploying outreach workers following shootings and offering housing assistance, mental health programs and trauma-informed care in neighborhoods.
Do stories like this matter to you? Subscribe to Block Club Chicago. Every dime we make funds reporting from Chicago’s neighborhoods.