CHICAGO — A group of young people is snatching phones and purses from people in the Gold Coast, police said.
During five recent incidents, robbers walked up to victims from behind and grabbed the victims’ phones and purses from their hands, according to a Chicago Police community alert. The thieves got into cars and drove off after the robberies.
The robberies occurred:
- Evening of May 28 in the 200 block of East Pearson Street;
- Friday evening in the 800 block of North Lake Shore Drive;
- Monday evening in the 100 block of East Oak Street;
- Monday evening in the 200 block of East Chestnut Street;
- Monday evening in the 800 block of North Lake Shore Drive.
The group typically has one or two teen boys who are 14-18 years old, 5-foot-5 to 5-foot-10 and 130-160 pounds, police said. Two girls or women who are 17-21 years old, 5-foot-3 to 5-foot-6 and 130-160 have also participated.
Anyone with information about the robberies was asked to call police at 312-747-8380.
Do stories like this matter to you? Subscribe to Block Club Chicago. Every dime we make funds reporting from Chicago’s neighborhoods.