DOUGLAS PARK — After weeks of speculation by concerned fans, Riot Fest broke its silence Thursday with some good news and some bad news.
The good news? The show will go on. The bad news? Headliner Blink 182 is out due to Travis Barker’s health issues. More good news? Weezer, Run The Jewels and Taking Back Sunday will now play the festival in their place.
“We know this wait has been frustrating for many of you,” fest organizers wrote on the festival’s website. “We hear you. We see you. Please know that we have been working tirelessly behind the scenes – as always – to program the best possible festival experience for our fans.”
After multiple news outlets – including Block Club – ran stories about uncertainty surrounding the festival, Riot Fest founder Michael Petryshyn shared some updates. First with Billboard magazine, telling them the show will “100 percent” go on, and then on the fest’s site.
“Yesterday afternoon, while we preparing to announce a long-awaited special headliner – alongside single-day lineups and tickets – we received a call from Blink-182’s camp letting us know that due to health-related issues with Travis, they unfortunately and sorrowfully had to cancel their entire September tour,” Petryshyn wrote, adding that the band will now headline next year’s fest for their 15th anniversary.
“As soon as we found out the news, we feverishly started to call upon some of our friends to fill the spot left by Blink-182,” Petryshyn wrote. “Within a matter of hours, Weezer, Run the Jewels and Talking Back Sunday stepped up, and will now be performing at Riot Fest 2018.”
Riot Fest will make another round of announcements Friday at 10 a.m., Petryshyn said.
Riot Fest announced its first wave lineup on May 30, but it’s been largely mum on updates since then. No single-day tickets to the three-day festival are available online, and the festival hasn’t released its full lineup or a daily schedule for performers even though it starts Sept. 14 at Douglas Park.
The radio silence from anyone involved with the fest naturally led to confusion which, in turn, fueled anxiety and conspiracy theories across the internet. Ticket-buyers have reached out to the festival, music journalists and even individual bands to see if they had any insider information they could share.
In a tweet Thursday afternoon, Riot Fest thanked fans for their patience.
“We thank you for your continued support, passion, and loyalty,” Petryshyn said. “We look forward to another incredible year… See you next week!”