CHICAGO — Catalytic converters thieves are hitting cars in Lincoln Park this month.
There have been a string of thefts in the neighborhood over the last two weeks, with the thief or thieves cutting off the catalytic converters underneath parked cars, according to a Chicago Police community alert.
The thefts occurred:
- The morning of July 18 in the 2000 block of North Howe Street
- Late evening to early morning of July 17 in the 1700 block of North Howard Street
- Late evening to early morning of July 14 in the 1900 block of North Fremont Street
- Late evening to early morning July 17 in the 1600 block of North Orchard Street
- Afternoon of July 17 in the 500 block of West Armitage Avenue
No description of the thief or thieves was available.
Criminals are after the precious metals inside catalytic converters, which contain platinum, palladium and rhodium, among other materials. A trip to a scrapyard with a stolen catalytic converter can net $100-$150.
Anyone with information about the thefts was asked to call police at 312-747-8380.