LOGAN SQUARE — A burglar is stealing bicycles in area garages and using a similar pattern to get to the bikes, according to a Tuesday community alert for Logan Square and Bucktown residents.
Officers from the Shakespeare Police (14th) District say an unknown man has been getting into buildings by prying open the front doors. In five recent cases, the man goes into garages and takes the stored bicycles after getting in through the front door.
The bike thefts took place at these times and locations:
- Tuesday, Jun 19, 4:30-5 a.m., 2600 block of West Belmont
- Friday, June 22, 10:30 p.m., 1900 block of North Fairfield
- Sunday, July 1, 8:20 a.m., 2700 block of West Armitage
- Monday, July 2, 5:20 a.m., 1900 block of North Fairfield
- Tuesday, July 3, 9:55-10:06 p.m., 1800 block of North Milwaukee
The man was described in the alert as white, 5-foot-8 inches tall, 160-pounds, wearing a dark top, jeans and a baseball cap.
Police advise residents to not leave their garage or building doors open, to pay special attention to any suspicious persons and to call 911 immediately and provide a detailed description of the offender(s), including any vehicle description and license plate information.