Skip to contents
Hyde Park, Woodlawn, South Shore

Barber Killed By Police In South Shore Shooting, Prompting Neighborhood Outrage (VIDEO)

A Sun-Times reporter said he was pushed over by police while attempting to document the protest.

A protest broke out at the Grand Crossing police station in South Shore after police shot a man Saturday evening.
Lee Edwards/ Block Club Chicago

SOUTH SHORE — A South Shore barber was shot and killed by police Saturday evening, leading to hours of clashes between protesters and police.

At about 5:30 p.m. in the 2000 block of East 71st Street, police saw “a man exhibiting characteristics of an armed person,” according to Chicago Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi.

“Officers go to question him when a confrontation ensues and he is shot,” Guglielmi tweeted. “The man was fatally wounded. A weapon recovered on scene.”

In a statement, Chicago Police later said that “an armed confrontation” ensued, and an officer fatally shot the man.

The man was identified as Harith Augustus, 37, of the 7000 block of South Merrill Ave., according to a spokesman for the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office.

The male officer who fatally shot Augustus is a probationary police officer,  Chicago Police Supt. Eddie Johnson said Sunday. Police did not reveal the officer’s identity.

On Sunday afternoon, Chicago Police released the body camera footage from the incident. Watch the video below. (WARNING: Video shows graphic violence).

RELATED: Harith Augustus Shooting Captured On Police Bodycam Video (WARNING: Graphic Content) 

Johnson said that Augustus had a valid FOID card but did not have a concealed carry license.

Neighbors told the Sun-Times that police asked Augustus, who works on the block, to stop selling loose cigarettes. 

The barber, who went by Snoop, had just left work to get ready for a friend’s bachelor party when the shooting occurred, the Tribune reports.

Neighbors gathered on the scene quickly demanding to know why the barber was killed, and Sun-Times reporter Nader Issa chronicled the escalation on Twitter.

Issa, as well as several Chicago activists including BYP 100 National Director Charlene Carruthers, said they were thrown to the ground by police as the protest grew larger:

Police said rocks and bottles, some filled with urine, were thrown at officers.

“Several officers were injured from rocks and thrown bottles,” Guglielmi tweeted. “4 demonstrators were arrested.”

As word of the shooting spread, the protest grew and by 9 p.m., more than 200 people marched to the Grand Crossing (3rd District) police station at 7040 S. Cottage Grove Ave.

Breanna Champion, an organizer with Black Youth Project 100, confirmed some protesters were arrested on the scene.

“A general message we want to send to the city is that police do not keep us safe and they never have and they never will …situations like this are just examples of that,” Champion said.

Rachel Williams, who was at the scene, described the chaos.

“We were barricaded in. We could not run. One of the organizers of Fearless Leaders of the Youth was hit to the point she started vomiting. She was hit over there by that Subway,” she said.

“They had no plan as to who they were hitting. They were just picking and yanking folks. When they hit that reporter from the Sun-Times I looked like ‘Ok, they are not playing game.’ Because if they have no discretion to a dude that says he has a press badge that’s when I knew everything was going left.”

The Civilian Office of Police Accountability (COPA) is investigating the shooting.

COPA asked any witnesses of the police shooting to tweet them, call 312-746-3609 or contact them through their website.